Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Could I be training too much?

Well, after my frustration at CycleSurgery, found somebody who would sell me a bike that I wanted. Funnily enough, it happened to be Bromley Bikes, who usually look down their nose at you if you don't want to spunk three grand on a revolutionary new Yeti full susser that quiet now - probably doesn't work very well. Anyway, it's too new a bike to have a picture at Trek's website yet, but I'm very pleased. It's got disc brakes, and skinny tyres, and a rigid fork, and a rack, which turns out to be wonderfully practical in London - no more sweaty back - in fact no more back pain - and it goes pretty quick. It doesn't have quite the snap away from traffic lights that I'm used to with 26" wheels, and a fully rigid bike isn't always fun, and Crystal Palace hill never gets any easier, but it's all good. So far I've got my commute down to 58 minutes + shower (instead of 10 minutes to the station, 29 minutes on the train, 17 minutes to the office and still need a shower, but not have any clothes to change into...)
But anyway, now I've gone and dumped 500 notes on a new bike, I've got to justify my purchase, which means riding to work as often as possible. So Monday & Tuesday I did work and back, and then Wednesday it was the Luke Haines gig at the Luminaire in Kilburn (great use of musical saw, but a bit short. oh, and although Vinny Peculiar was great, the first support act were abominable.). Then Thursday I got drunk with an old friend, and then Friday it was off to Reading for a wedding. Excuses, excuses, eh?
So today, back on the bike despite missing out on sleep all weekend, and thankfully it's half term so the roads are clear. But having ridden to work, worked, and then ridden home again, I still had to go and do a 3 mile run. Why? Because Mr Higdon says so, and you disobey him at your cost. Not long till January, after all, and the half marathon. And I want to beat my 1:45 so bad, I just might.
Thus last week, the plan said do 5 400m sprints, so I did that. On a Tuesday night after riding 20km home. (Isn't it great to use kilometres instead of miles? Sounds so much more significant...) And although the ride wasn't bad, the run - crumbs, it almost finished me off. I was sweating like a murderer by the end of it. Tomorrow it's a tempo run (not sure what that means, but it's going to involve some 4:30 km action at the very least. Although right now, braggadocio demands that I say that can't be that hard.
So anyway, this will be quite a good experiment to see if I can cycle and run in the same day, every day of the week, and will at least hint about whether the Iron Man is a good idea or a bad one. Or maybe I'll learn some respect for the half marathon distance.
Tangentially, got a Garmin Forerunner to play with. Mortifyingly, once you have an accurate GPS sensor, you find out that the 40mph you thought you could pull down Crystal Palace hill was probably only ever 30, and that route you thought was 3 miles was more like 1 and a half. But it's made intervals and fartlek a bit easier, in that you don't have to worry about figuring out what distance is 400m, or a km, or 2 km, any more. You just run and run, and then you stop. Garmin's software's not so great though - although the GPS is working fine, when you download your workouts to your machine, the training system develops amnesia every other day. Not impressed. Motion Based looks like it might be fun though.
Oh, and Wednesday night I start doing shorinji kempo again. Fingers crossed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment