Friday, February 19, 2010

Old stuff and confusingly named restaurants

Up early to head to the British Museum, to look at lots of old stuff. Saw one hermaphrodite statue (I think), had one baked potato, considered for about two minutes the merits of purchasing a replica Greek horse head for a grand, left the British Museum shop. Spent two hours in Forbidden Planet and Foop buying more unsuitable (ie heavy) books and some DVDs that I hope I'll watch, then over to Nusa Dua on Soho Square for some pan-Asian food.

That was a bit confusing, because I thought if you were going to name a restaurant after an Indonesian beach resort, you'd stick fairly closely to Indonesia when defining your menu, but there was Malaysian, Thai, Laotian... OK, the Malaysia isn't so big a stretch (at least for me – I was dumb enough to confuse the two countries when inviting myself to visit a friend) but Laos is quite a long way from Bali. Still, the food was good enough that I had two helpings of Nasi Goreng, before staggering out into the icy wastes of Soho.

Bizarrely, although all but one of our party have lived in London for a few years, they were all utterly surprised when I took them to a pub at 10:45 on a Friday night and it was full of wall-to-wall humanity, making it impossible to sit down, have a drink or move away from a small patch of space by the toilets. After fifteen minutes of this, last orders went, we gave it up as a bad job and I fled home, hoping that I wouldn't miss a train and have to spend half an hour freezing to death at Charing Cross. Lucky me. I missed the train and had to spend half an hour freezing to death at Charing Cross.

On the way back on the eventual train, I took to reading some Cthulhu Mythos comic books, although the chap opposite me noticed the copy of David Simon's The Corner that I'd purchased, and as we left the train told me what a good book and television series it was. There really is a cult of people who love the Wire and everything connected to it – which is amusing, given I was just reading about Evil Cults of Octopus-Man worshipping nutcases. Truly, every piece of the puzzle fits together.

Which is just the kind of mad ranting you hope to find on the last page of a recently-vanished lunatic researcher's notepad. Hopefully I'm around tomorrow to continue this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment