Saturday, October 23, 2010

Christmas is getting earlier and earlier

Christmas arrived two months and two days early this year: my girlfriend bought me a new camera. This is rather exciting, because although I've been saving up for one, the route to affording a high-end SLR is long and torturous when you're putting away just a little bit of money every month. Now I have my shiny new photograph-making machine, much earlier than expected.

Actually, it's not very shiny. It conforms more to a drab dark gray aesthetic, which, combined with the extra size and weight, makes it feel much more like a tool than my old SLR, which is like a cute but rather plasticky toy in comparison.

Having only played with it in the shop and a few pictures of our friend's dog, I've hardly scratched the surface yet of its capabilities, but a few test shots in a bar a few minutes ago suggest it's going to be very good at working in dark environments.

A bit like me, I hope, although the comedy club is quite well illuminated. For a basement.

Tonight's performance was quite hard work, because most of the time there were more comedians than audience members. However, they did produce some good laughs, not least when a man had to check his watch to see how long he'd been married (eight days, as it turns out). I'm not sure as I'd take my (hypothetical) wife to a cockroach-infested basement to hear people boast about their insecurities on our honeymoon, but then I'm not recently married - what would I do.

At least, I don't think I'm recently married. With the string of vivid dreams I've had recently, maybe I've lost large parts of my mind including the parts reminding me of my nuptials. Although I'm fairly sure my girlfriend would have told me if she was now my wife. Was the camera just a wedding present? Golly, this will be embarrassing to ask about.

I suppose on the positive side, if I've got married without realising, I've probably had a very cheap reception to pay for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment