Saturday, January 08, 2011

A doggone shame

Today I went to an office to be an extra in 'Supercapitalist'. This involved sitting at a desk looking at a computer, which was a bit of a stretch, but I think I managed to draw on all my experience of sitting at desks and looking at computers, to deliver a nuanced and deeply felt performance that will probably show up as an unidentified back of head-shot, slightly out of focus in a deleted scene on the special edition DVD.

You may think I'm just a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Really. There's eight other blokes in suits, all trying to look busy and productive. Since they work for banks, they probably have lots of practice at that.

Enough of my vicious satire of the banking trade, I'm using Bloomberg's news service to read about a Finnish dog that mocked Hitler by making Nazi salutes.
"Borg's dog reacted to the command 'Hitler' by raising its paw."
It didn't reoccupy the Rhineland or annex the Sudetenlands, I suppose, and according to the news story the dog, Josephine Borg, only died in 1971, which given that she was first raising her paw in 1933, suggests an incredible longevity enhancement for canines with fascist tendencies. Or perhaps Finnish dogs just live a lot longer than dogs elsewhere. I have a certain scepticism about this canine.

Or about my reading comprehension, as unkinder people have pointed out that Josephine Borg was the wife of the dog's owner. I did think at the time it was a slightly strange name for a dog, but then it was Finnish.

1 comments:

Avalanve said...

Borg, is a Swedish word meaning fort. (Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish) Its origin is german and means "fortified hill" The erliest findings of the word is at a runestone found in Kjula (Now that's a weird word to name your dog..) dated 1000.

Big sturdy walls, a moat.. Ivanhoe.. maybe the dog was fat and mideval.. Then again, if you're facing a very angry dog who salutes Hitler perhaps resistance is futile..

Post a Comment