Saturday, May 07, 2011

Back on stage

Tonight I had a show at the Fat Angelo's in Tsim Sha Tsui - I woke up knackered from the junk I'd been on all last night, and sleepwalked through the day. All I was capable of doing was sleeping and eating crisps, although I had to wake up to do that: not so satisfactory.

Because I have delusions of being a rockstar, I dress entirely in black and include an eighteen year old Motorhead shirt, which meant that on the train to Kowloon, a guy struck up a conversation with me. This is the second time in three days that somebody I don't know has started talking to me: perhaps they were scared of the beard before.

I was very confused: he was a Canadian but he'd lived in Bedfordshire, so he'd called his son Devon. If you are going to name your kids after English counties, I believe it should be the counties you've lived in. That would be easier for me, I suppose: Kent is a fairly uncontroversial name, whereas West Yorkshire is never going to trip off the tongue.

However, I left the train after one stop, so I never got to explain this to him - I hustled over to the Fat Angelo's, via the mysterious exit G in Tsim Sha Tsui station, which only exists on directional signs and not in reality, then ate the world's largest risotto and tried not to fall asleep.

The room at Fat Angelo's is a little odd: it's a good size for you to feel intimate with the crowd, and the sound system works well, but perhaps through some oddity of the architecture, laughter is almost impossible to hear from the stage. It just seems to evaporate, whereas if you're at the back of the room it sounds like everyone is enjoying themselves.

Or perhaps they were laughing at everyone apart from me.

Oh dear.

Still, I came off the stage happy: in ten minutes I hadn't sworn, set myself on fire, dropped the microphone or done anything else to cloak myself in shame: I'd earned the free food I'd eaten, and made some people laugh. As I walked around afterwards, I felt six inches taller - I've missed that feeling recently that you get when things go right and you did what you wanted.

I forgot to do my joke about Shenzhen girls though - next time. Perhaps.

Now I don't feel exhausted. And it's time for bed. Oh, the irony...

0 comments:

Post a Comment