Sunday, May 29, 2011

The End Of A California Fitness Dream

I seem to have spent most of today asleep.

I got up about nine, had breakfast, fumbled about for a bit, went back to sleep, got up and went to buy some groceries, came back, went to sleep, got up again, had lunch, went back to sleep, got up, went to my sister-in-law-to-be's baby shower, was sent home early because I was practically unconscious while standing up, went to sleep, woke up, went to the gym, and then almost killed myself because I didn't realise the running machine was calibrated in mph and not km/h. Ten miles per hour is not a gentle wake up speed.

However, even this didn't make much of a puncture in my wooziness, and it's hard to run if you're on the verge of passing out. If only you could exercise whilst asleep then I'd be able to prepare for the Osaka marathon and get my required amount of shut-eye.

Sadly, to do that would require the installation of innumerable pulley systems, clockwork contraptions and car batteries, and I don't think my fiancee would be best pleased if I turned the bed into some Heath Robinson exercise machine for the narcoleptic.

The California Fitness round the corner from my office is closing, forced by heightened rents to relocate to Sheung Wan. I can't feel too aggreived about this shift, as I'm not sure that I managed to use the facilities more than twenty times in the last year. Perhaps I should have signed up for a hundred personal training sessions at eight hundred dollars a pop, and then they would have been able to afford to stay in the hinterlands of Lan Kwai Fong.

I wonder what will fill the space. After all, there's already lots of offices, bars and shops selling terrible, terribly expensive clothes in Central. It couldn't possibly need another. Maybe they'll put a gym in there.

Oh. I think I'm still asleep and dreaming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment