Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Great! Depressed!

Sakert, the Swedish-speaking simulacrum of Hello Saferide, has rerecorded songs from her first album in Swedish, in English. Confused? I was...

I first discovered Hello Saferide about six years ago on an obscure podcast, where she sang High School Stalker, an account of creepy teenage lust with a wobbly brass section. I was won over immediately and gobbled up all her English-language output, and, because I'm a sucker for slightly twee Swedish pop, everything she's done as Sakert too, her Swedish-language alter ego. Her finest song is - well, it's hard to choose. High School Stalker is right up there, but so's the melancholy San Franciscon and any song which gets your horny-handed, long haired Goth friends to sing "damn, I wish I was a lesbian" can't be bad. One of my absolute favourites has to be this song, and not just because of the quite ludicrous video.

A shame, then, that the English-language Sakert doesn't include "We're All Going To Die At The Same Time". A quick perusal of the track listing shows such cheery gems as The flu, You'll Be On Your Own, and It's Going To Lead Up To Something Bad. I'm just hoping they're as cheerfully jaunty in English as in the original, or I might be mentally deranged after the first listen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment