Saturday, October 01, 2011

A terrifying thing happened to me on the way to the club...

I had an extra-specially confusing taxi driver this evening. I went downstairs and walked out to the street. There was a queue of four cars queuing up at the red light at the crossroads, and the last one was ready for hire. I jogged over, waving at him and he waved his hands back, frantically shaking his head. Crushed by this rejection, I changed direction and started walking back along the street.

The light turned green and then the taxi swerved over and ground to a halt in the middle of the yellow box junction in the crossroads, and the driver gestured at me to get in. I'm not sure why this was safer than letting me get in while all the vehicles were stationary1. Anyway, don't look a gift horse in the mouth: I got in, and then he carried on swerving all the way down the (lamentably straight) street.

I began to worry that he couldn't drive at all, because he lurched and braked and swerved all the way into Central, managing to cut across lines of perfectly well-behaved traffic, narrowly avoiding buses, pedestrians, buildings... This was definitely one of those evenings where you did up your seat belt super tight.

Still, I didn't die, and I got to the comedy club on time, so nothing to complain about. I had what I think was a good set (although a few too many plosive 'p's which seemed to override the microphone) and that's what I needed as run-up for the competition next week. Fingers crossed now...

1Or stationery. Is that paper-thin?

0 comments:

Post a Comment