Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Snowing, working and sleeping

Today I looked out the window, to see snow, glittering on the trees outside the hotel. I had my breakfast and then got driven up to the hotel, with the dread warning that there would be no car to ferry me home in the evening, because of the snow.

When I got to the office, there was nobody else there. I assumed it was because I'd got in so early (jet lag and a Mercedes Benz had propelled me to my desk before 8am) but as the hours ticked by and most of the office didn't appear, I realised that snow business meant no business.

Or rather, most everyone was working from home, because slogging through icy roads and enduring skidding, screeching buses and kamikaze drivers wasn't top on their priorities. Although if they were working from home today, I wondered why they couldn't work from home every day. After all, a lot of unsociable people sit in their offices all day and never talk to anyone. Why pay for heating and lighting those offices when they could sit at home, never talking to anyone?

My team are quite gregarious, and they had all come in, but some other areas of the building were quite desolate. I wondered if we could shrink a few floors by outsourcing them to their homes, and then worried that without physical proximity, concepts like teamwork and helpfulness might fizzle out and fade away to nothing.
Then I stopped ruminating on matters philosophical, and ate a croissant.

We all react differently to stress. I eat baked goods, which is sometimes good and sometimes leaves me ten pounds heavier, with Danish pastry crumbs all round my mouth, and that's not a pretty sight.

Today was fairly calm though, or at least subdued. That may have been something to do with waking up at midnight, and 3am, and 5am, and then at 6am giving up and getting up. I'd hope that tomorrow I'd have a decent sleep, but as I have to be up at 6 to give a training session to people in Europe, I guess not.

Damn you, responsibilities, you're getting in the way of slumber!

0 comments:

Post a Comment