Sunday, July 01, 2012

Prepare to enjoy yourself

I got up at 6:30 this morning and ran 8 miles, and then spent the rest of the day in bed, lapsing in and out of consciousness. I've been running every day since Tuesday, so in some sense I've been looking forward to Monday, because that will be the first day where I don't have to get up early for a run.

I'll just have to get up early because if I don't, I'll probably sleep through until midday, and then blithely wander into the office wondering why people are staring at me.

And then I'll have to walk back home and put some trousers on.

I didn't spend all day working on that joke, honest. As I said, I was asleep for a substantial part of it.

Yesterday there was a lot of helicopters flying to and fro, plus youthful reservists wandering aroud, and fireworks. I asked somebody about this today and he told me it was the practise for the National Day celebrations.

Now, I know Singapore is regimented, but they actually have to practise celebrating. That's like having to rehearse having fun. Apparently there are kids bussed in to sit in the stands and get used to having fun/watching fireworks/being given goodie bags. It's more than a little bit odd. I have this fantasy that they have to do this, because one year not everyone enjoyed themselves properly, and the Prime Minister (floating above Singapore in a hot air balloon) shouted down to tell them they were doing it wrong.

I am assuming they have a hot air balloon to transport the Prime Minister in. If they don't, maybe that's why they're not very good at having fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment