Thursday, October 18, 2012

Risks

This evening I played Risk for the firsr time in my life. It's one of those games that is cruel to those that are ignorant of the tactics, and ends with either a swift and overpowering victory, or an interminable grind between two almost-evenly matched opponents while everyone else looks on aghast. I came fourth, which was better than coming last, I suppose.

On the way back in the taxi, I mentioned to one of the other players that I was basically a malcontent, never happy with what I've got at any point in time, always striving for something else. He pointed out that that is actually the best place to be; once you stop striving for something new, you stagnate. I should be happy that I'm not happy with where I am. Always moving is a curse only if you're glad to stand still all the time.

I felt quite bad; when you encounter somebody else with a positive view of the world, you can realise how negative you're being. I've got so much good in my life that sometimes I forget and only concentrate on the dull, quotidien parts. You need to focus on what you're doing to change, where you want to go and how you're going to get there.

Mind you, I'm not sure where I want to go. Possibly the best way to figure that out isn't to drink two bottles of wine and play Risk, but when it's the only option available on a Thursday night, you take what you can get.

0 comments:

Post a Comment