Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Commuting to work on foot


First an admission. I'm a bit guilty that this is the first time I've worn these trainers in anger, having bought them back in October 2006, or maybe even earlier. But look at them: they're just too shiny to take away from their box.
Anyway, happy to say that Gel-Kayano XII's are as comfy as any other Asics, and don't require breaking in. Put them on at 6:45 today and then ran 17 km to work, without a single spot of bother. Motion Based here. From Advanced Marathoning, "the most beneficial intensity range for your long runs is 10 to 20 percent slower than your goal marathon race pace"; overall, I was hitting 5 minutes per km; to get to 3 hours I will need to run at 4:16 or below. That means training between 4:42 and 5:07; out of the 17 k on this run, 3 were too slow, and 2 (the last two) were too fast. So I'm feeling slightly more confident about being able to knock half an hour out of my PB. Let's see what happens, eh?
And for the first time in a while, felt perky after commuting in: possibly it's the extra adrenaline produced through all the pain of pounding the pavement. I prefer to hope that it's to do with 125g of Torq recovery powder immediately after reaching the office, rather than the usual flopping into the shower and not bothering to get to the coffee shop until 10am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment