Monday, April 27, 2009

So many faces

In an attempt to straighten my life out and get a bit more structure to it, I'm taking a self-portrait every day. This satisfies several needs: it feeds my narcissism, and it also allows both you and I to track the progress of my beard. After a few weeks we should be able to assess the optimum length for it for style, grace and economy.
25 April
On the subject of the beard, went to the Mandarin Oriental for a trim on Saturday. I was rather disconcerted by the over-voluble barber, a Chinese bloke called James Lee who kept laughing, compared my hair to a forest, and almost cut it all off before I told him I was only there for a beard trim. Then he kept on chuckling and got me to recline fully in the chair while he went at me. I kept my eyes shut throughout but it doesn't seem to have come out so bad, does it? But barbers should really have a serious demeanour - you don't want one who gives you an amusing haircut, do you?
(Incidentally, this gave me an idea for a joke about blurting out inappropriate things: I went to the barber, he said "I'll do it the way your mother'd like it", I said "What? ")
Had a sandwich, almost fainted on Queens Road, bought a dehumidifier. It doesn't get more glamourous than this, does it?
Here we are, post beard, with one day's growth:
26 April
That was taken with my new flash: here's the same without flash,
Compare & Contrast Compare & Contrast
and with me trying to rescue it with post-processing...

27 April
And here's me today, about an hour before I wrote this, and just after I ran this

0 comments:

Post a Comment