Friday, May 15, 2009

Sometimes size matters

Last week I went to see Nouvelle Vague play at the Queen Elizabeth in Hong Kong. Despite the signs saying photography was prohibited in the venue, nobody seemed to have any problem getting a camera out - I was a little worried about bringing my SLR with me, but once I'd seen several other people using theirs, I threw caution to the wind.
Possibly this was because the security staff were more concerned with trying to get drunk Frenchmen to sit down (all the way through High Tone's set a bunch of Gallic yahoos kept standing up / drinking / smoking much to the upset of the security staff, who ... stared at them and didn't really do anything. Lacksadaisical? Or pragmatic, given that the French were twice the size of them. Ah well, apart from the occasional yell of 'Allez le securite' there wasn't much interaction between them.
Anyway, I got to get my camera out. With it's seldom used 300mm telephoto. Which actually gave some pretty nice shots (when my hands weren't wobbling too much to blur everything up - oh, for an image-stabilised lens. Oh, for some cash to spend on fripperies like that...)
Got this: happy with the triangle of light behind Nadeah
Nadeah Miranda, Nouvelle Vague
and also this, which I'm rather pleased with (although it evokes the atmosphere of a smoky jazz bar, rather than a stadium full of drunks and French people pastiching 80s New Wave...)
Nouvelle Vague

0 comments:

Post a Comment