Monday, December 14, 2009

What do they *do* all day?

Every so often, the tram at Happy Valley is filled with Japanese tourists. I wish I had been more diligent in learning Japanese, so I could have asked them what they were doing on it. It seems a little bit of a strange way to spend a holiday - up at 8am and bouncing out of your seat on a ramshackle tram - but they seem happy enough with it. Usually it's a bunch of middle-aged or elderly Japanese, but today there was one in full kawaii-regalia; a little fur jacket round her shoulders, a short white dress that looked like she was a bridesmaid, and her face made up with huge eyelashes and all the other warpaint you might expect for a night out.

This was preferable to the bored businessman in a suit who is now sitting opposite me, but really I'm a bit confused, not so much because she must have chosen to get up early to prepare her face. It's more to do with where they disembarked the tram; right in a filthy part of Wan Chai. What attraction can that hold? Perhaps there's something of historical significance that Japanese people, young and old, want to see. Perhaps they're on an excursion to Dusk Til Dawn. (If that's the case, I'm both impressed and intimidated: what kind of person can manage to start partying at 8:30 on a Monday morning?) Or maybe there's a ferry crossing, although that last, most prosaic possibility seems far too rational to explore.

I think one of these days I'll follow them when they get off the tram and find out where they go. Or be mistaken for some sort of stalker (who only stalks groups of Japanese tourists) and then I'll get beaten off with a tourguide's umbrella. Sometimes research is tough, you know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment