Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Elephant To Hollywood

Today was roasting hot in Hong Kong again. I hid away from the heat in the air conditioned sanctuary of my bedroom, and read Michael Caine's autobiography, The Elephant To Hollywood.

From this I've learned that his real name was Maurice Micklewhite, and that he lived in a very small house, and then a rather larger one; there haven't been quite the 'uproarious and unflinching' anecdotes promised by the blurb, but perhaps I'd do better to have read it on the plane on the way back from England, or when not catatonic from jet lag.

I have found Caine thinks that a line from his recent film, Harry Brown, is the equivalent of Get Carter's "You're a big man, but you're out of shape. For me it's a full time job." I'm not sure that "You failed to maintain your weapon" is as good, but then I didn't remember the line the way Caine does: as far as I was concerned it's "... you're out of condition and I do this for a living." And a quick perusal of Youtube shows we're both wrong: the line is "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape." Which either means Caine has a bad memory for one of his most famous lines, or a ghostwriter with an unreliable fact checker.

I was curious to see what mention there is of the Get Carter remake: having watched how Stallone wrecked it, I wanted to see what Caine would say, especially as he participated. But I've not got far enough into the book to find any mention yet, and checking the index shows only that somebody didn't check the index properly: Get Carter is mentioned on page 384, supposedly, and that page hasn't a single bit of text on it.

Unless he's criticising the film by using invisible ink.

And given how the internet has proven my memory to be unreliable, may e if I checked, the Stallone Get Carter, happy ending and everything, might actually be the better of the two.

No, I'm not going to check. Some things you should only go through once in your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment