Friday, August 19, 2011

Karaoke in Bellevue

This evening we went out for a few drinks after work, and I made the mistake of drinking nothing but club sodas. This meant by midnight when everyone else had reached a healthy level of inebriation, I was still stone cold sober, which meant when I started drinking I was really storing up trouble for myself.


After dinner at Purple, which consisted of lots and lots of things made from tomatoes, we went to a sushi restaurant and demanded karaoke. And they told us they had no karaoke, and we should go elsewhere. Undaunted, we crossed the street to a mall, and found a bar on the second floor with a karaoke area, and nobody else.

THe room filled up a bit later on, and then emptied again, but in the four hours I spent there I witnessed many strange things:

co-workers dancing
co-workers dancing even if there wasn't any music
my own 'interpretative' dance, accompanied by a pair of Seattleites singing Genie In A Bottle
and of course, line dancing.

I don't think I've ever seen real, true, line dancing in the wild before, but every few songs, the dancefloor would suddenly fill with disconcertedly coordinated Americans, all jigging away with matching arm and leg movements. Since I can hardly be relied upon to coordinate my own limbs, it's a wonderful sight to see people do this en masse.

Unless you can hear Achy Breaky Heart, of course.

I sang Ace of Spades, which I'm reliable at, if nothing else. We all sang We Are The World, and then retired to another bar for another drink. Which is when I started on the gin.

Got back to my hotel room, Blackberry was completely dead, had to fire up my decomposing laptop and write this here. Now desperate for bed, terrified that I only managed a 4 mile run this week (so now I'm 11 miles behind, unless I get really organised and get up tomorrow morning). Oh gosh, oh golly, oh gawd...

0 comments:

Post a Comment